Home

Saturday 1 July 2017

Swans and other birds ..

At the end of my last post a week ago I left you with a sneaky peek of my June Mini Mania where we had to use a minimum of 4 strips in a block.  I had decided on my colours but what to make and then, as usual, I got my best idea lying in bed first thing in the morning - Invisible Machine Applique.  After consulting this book  the rest is history as they say.
A 10" finished block

What will our July challenge be I wonder and will I be able to complete it as I have a very full diary!!

My friends and I are watching the new development on the edge of town with some excitement so this week our Nordic walk took us round the lake itself to see what is happening.  It is due to open at the end of July and the roadworks round that part of town are horrendous at the moment.  We approached the site through lovely meadows and suddenly came on these fellows -
 
Not sure who was more surprised, them or us!!
We visited the lock just as two narrow boats were going through
 
 
and saw four swans -
 
The pedalo's at Canoe2

 and I got arty!
Cloud reflection

I was still feeling a little arty when I got home and made these
 

The Wednesday evening Higham Piecemakers ladies had a workshop led by Beverley and this is my result.

Finally I was so pleased to see my Callistemon or Bottle Brush bush has come back from the dead and is looking magnificent. 
Complete with a bee

I originally planted this bush about 15 years ago and it flowered fairly regularly until it appeared to die.  I couldn't dig the main root up as it was too big, but suddenly last year it sprouted and this year it is a mass of the bottle flowers.  Most of the gardening books say it should be in a pot and brought in every year as it is originally Australian and doesn't like the cold. Well my front garden faces North West and gets very cold in winter and it is surviving.  Long may it do so.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post & your mini mania hearts are so cute & well thought out. I'd love to join in things like that & think I may do a Mystery Quilt over the internet that starts on July 6th. Sounds like you do walks similar to us, seeing how much land they are cutting up for housing etc., in our supposedly country town that is now more like an outer suburb of Melbourne....yuk. The bottlebrush should survive reasonable cold winters, as today it is -3 deg celsius here(7am) & there are plenty of them growing in gardens & as street trees. Yours is a pretty colour. Take care.

    ReplyDelete