Home

Sunday 18 March 2018

The Beast from the East is back (a mini version)

I am getting fed up with our weather!!  After having had a week or two with decent weather (well relatively) I have been able to go on my usual Monday morning Nordic walk
The sky a couple of weeks ago after the first snow

and then last Monday after a lot of rain and snow melt we went exploring along the river bank -
Alpacas and little white egrets with geese in the foreground
 
The entrance to Rushden Lakes from the river (by the sign)
 The last time I went canoeing on the river we accessed Rushden Lakes here and it was a gentle little backwater but this time it was very full and when we crossed the weir opposite the opening I didn't like it
The bridge bounced and made me uncomfortable with
all that water gushing underneath
 
We tramped through mud but it was great to be out and walking.  However the snow was back last night and the temperature is below freezing!

Last week it was announced that Professor Stephen Hawking had died and I remembered this photo


 My father studied for his degree at Gonville and Caius in Cambridge, so back in 2014 I went there to have a look round and lo and behold found this plaque at the bottom of one of the staircases.  It was a surprise to me at the time.  RIP a very famous and clever man,.

You can read more about my 2014 meander around Cambridge here.

A friend gave me these for Christmas
No snow in the background


and though they are long over they gave off a wonderful scent, but I bought the amaryllis in the pot beside them
Lovely
 
Snow!!

Well every snow blizzard has a silver lining and as it has enforced me to stay in, I have managed to get some projects finished off!!

Drum roll............





remember this photo I posted in OCTOBER


the foot of my Tilda Bunny - well here you are



she is finished and I love her.  The holdup was because I finished everything but I was worried about her face and so she sat there faceless because I didn't think I could complete the line down from her nose!!  But crochet group teacher J told me how to do it and it was easy peasy.  Please note that the link to the pattern is American crochet.

She joins my Tilda elephant


that I sewed from this book some years ago and guess what - we are making a Tilda Rabbit tomorrow at Higham Piecemaker's All-day session.   I shall be Tilda'd out!!

Anyway I have finished the Piecemaker's Christmas 2017 Challenge and some smocking but that is for another blog, so watch this space.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for my comment & as we've all been discussing just how weird the weather north & south is, we all seem to achieve other bits 'n' pieces in amongst the madness. That river does look scary & reminds me of the news clips last night of rivers gushing in the Northern Territory from the most recent cyclone. Ugh! Love the Santa & look forward to seeing more of your finishes. Take care & stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on getting Tilda finished ! I love the drama that those Amaryllis bring in long cold months xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't let's talk about the weather 🙄 Winter just keeps returning 😱, BUT Tilda bunny is a joy, well done on finishing her. Sure your 'all day' workshop rabbit / hare will be happy to join the other 'Tilda' toys Look forward to seeing the photos

    ReplyDelete