Home

Saturday 26 May 2018

Spring Bank Holiday post

Since my last post not a lot has happened that is of interest, except we had a Royal Wedding last weekend (last weekend - it seems like two weeks ago).  I had already mentioned to younger son that I was coming over in the morning to plant runner beans and he reminded that it was THE wedding, that I had forgotten about, and it turned into a great day.  Thank you Cambridge family and their friends for a lovely afternoon.

Next day I felt that must do a long bike ride, especially as the weather was good, if a little windy.  I set off on the 'Beast' towards Yelden and climbed the hill towards Melchbourne an then looked at my battery display and to my horror found it was quite low and I had some big hills to climb; so what to do?

Well I changed my plans and did a circuit of here

and went through the ford on the River Til.  I remember this from my childhood when my sister and I used to ride through it to get the bus to school.  I also turned off the battery and cycled normally for at least half of the journey and that meant that I could do 17 miles in the end.
Top of the hill above Yelden

Close up of the above
Love the Cow Parsley that we used to call 'Keck'.  It was a glorious day.

Tuesday was my 'Will' day in Bedford and we had our usual walk down by the river, but we were excited to see this standing in a tree and Will identified it immediately.
Grey Heron

This Heron was suddenly joined by a second and I was not quick enough with the camera to photo the two before they flew away.  But we had both seen them.

Further along from the Heron was a Canada Goose sitting on eggs and tidying up round it and leaving them exposed to be photographed.
 
Not a good picture but the eggs are there.

Following an ice cream we then headed to the park for Will to play on the swings.

I find that during these sunny warm days I can't get enthused with sewing but suddenly I feel energised and have decided to concentrate on these projects -
Practising and rubbish!!!!
 
That's better
Friday was Smocking group and I have started a new project;  a book cover with picture smocking, for a lever arch file.  Teacher J had suggested that I practise because as you can see from the top picture it is a lot harder than it looks!!  I used six strands of embroidery thread and they were ironed to lie better which is obvious from the bottom photo.  It took me the whole three hours of the lesson to get it right!!!!
Colours are not good
My crocheted Woodland blanket is progressing slowly but is getting there and I don't want to rush it as my next big project will not start until the Autumn.

Finally
It is going to be a small weight
my embroidery project that has been going on for months but I am going to get on and get it finished.  The square is the bottom and I have two sides and the top to finish.  It will be 2" square by 1" high.

The weather is lovely and the garden and gardening beckons so that is all folks and enjoy the long weekend if you live in the UK. 

2 comments:

  1. Busy as ever Carol & the ride looks lovely. I'm an enthusiastic bird spotter & would readily come along with you & Will & watch out for birds & wildlife (giggle). Basically, I can't smock (have tried a long time ago), but love to crochet. Lucy's woodland blanket is looking good & I think you are further on than I am with my Sunshine & Shadows, & that little cross stitch is going to be gorgeous. Hope your Bank Holiday is bright & sunny. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely circuit for your ride. and Keck!! What is it about the fashionable Cow Parsley that was all the rage at Chelsea - it's a weed - lovely as it is . that embroidery is looking good x

    ReplyDelete