Home

Tuesday 26 March 2019

All things 'Feathers'

With the lovely sunny weather the daffodils and other spring bulbs are out and the hedgerows are greening up, so we are into Spring.  

It seems a long time ago that we were set our Christmas Challenge 2018 at Higham Piecemakers and this week has been the 'Grand Reveal'.  Check here to see what we had to do and I found this pattern online.  I love Roosters and I immediately knew I wanted to make these even though there was some minor carpentry needed!!

I did struggle to find the 'Floral Styrofoam disc' but suddenly had a brainwave and cut up a polystyrene ball, of which I have a great number for various projects.  My concern was that the glue would not hold but it seems to be alright and he stands magnificent and proud on

his wooden dowel legs, drilled in to a block of wood, by me!!  His companion is a little dowdy but the dark fabric for the tummy and wings (used in both) was what I was given.


BUT something was missing for such a beautiful pair, so I swiftly worked a smocked egg to complete the tableau!! 

Apart from dark fabric, the Rooster's body is made of silk fabrics to give him a sheen and the head cover is the last remains of a fabulous shiny fabric I bought years ago.  I bought the feathers on the internet for £2 so little money was spent on this project, but a great deal of planning went into it.

I loved making this Challenge.

My monthly Sock Club have set us the challenge of using up sock wool and we must use at least three colours.  I am an avid follower of Winwick Mum and found one of her patterns that sounded just up my street and for a novice like me is quite testing.  But I will persevere.

In this blog I mentioned the 'awful' wool my son had bought me for Christmas - well here they are finished



and I love them.  I used my signature pink cuff, heel and toes and even managed to match the stripes and have been wearing them.  Currently they are on the washing line!!

The third Monday in the month is our 'all day' at Higham Piecemakers and as a change a group of us met at a local Church Hall for a special workshop with Kathleen Laurel Sage.

We were going to make a 'Pixie House' and boy, did we work hard.  Kathleen told us at the beginning that we were to use all the fancy stitches on our machines, different coloured threads and enjoy yourselves!
Initial briefing


Pixie houses made by KLS.  Hope ours are as creative
 Well heads down after the initial briefing and we started embellishing our felt.
Machine in the bricks, windows and the door before using fancy stitching
One instruction was to highlight the windows and door so we didn't sew anything over them as many have done and which I nearly did but stopped myself just in time.  We had to do the same for the roof.  By the end of the day mine was coming along
and so it didn't take long to finish when I got home and was able to add flowers, buttons and beads and finally the smoke from the chimney.
.
I loved this workshop and learnt a lot; so much so that I am going to make some more!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh.............all are beautiful!!!! You are so clever & I'd so love to be part of your Higham Piecemakers, with so many talented ladies & great challenges. Take care & hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete