Home

Tuesday 14 May 2019

Another tick on the 'Bucket List'!!

Last Sunday saw me on my way to Leicester with the 50+ Adventure Club for another outing on a lovely sunny day.  We were going to have a guided tour of the old parts of the city and though Leicester is close to me in mileage I know very little about it historically AND I always get lost when I have to drive through it and usually go a long way round to get out!

I knew that there had been a Roman settlement there and that was our first stop, to see the Roman walls


and remains of the baths


Then onto the castle area and the church of St Mary de Castro (St Mary of the Castle) whose origins show that it was built within the enclosure of the castle.


Richard 111 would probably have worshipped here before the Battle of Bosworth as he could have stayed in the castle and it is believed that Geoffrey Chaucer married his second wife here.
Castle Yard

The 'Motte' of the castle is still there but overgrown with vegetation so not easy to photograph and our guide said that the Victorians had chopped the top off to make a bowling green - what vandals they were!!


We exited the Castle Yard through one of the old town gates.

We were now into the slightly more modern part of the city and passed -
The Chantry House

built by William Wigston in 1511, a wealthy wool merchant, to house two priests to say prayers and masses for the souls of the Royal family and his own family.  In about 1600 it became a grand domestic residence.
The Magazine Gateway -

was originally one of the entrances to the religious precinct of Leicester but as I always find when I take a photo was under maintenance!!


Something a little more modern, a mural which seems to promote Leicester City football club, who were actually going to be playing against Chelsea FC when we were there.

We were shown 
Wygston's House
which is a beautiful example of a late 15th century timber framed wool merchant's house.  It is now a restaurant with music blasting out of it!!

Next stop was the Guildhall



and we spent sometime looking round here
The Hall is still used for public meetings and concerts.

However the most exciting part was to come when we went into the Cathedral.  On the tour we had passed this car park
once again having work done to it - just my luck, because this is where the skeleton of King Richard 111 was found.  It is behind the stone wall that you can see in the corner.

Though one of the newest and smallest cathedrals in the country Leicester is now famous for this tomb
 I have been wanting to visit this ever since it was discovered and I found it a very moving experience.
'Loyalty binds me'
The tomb is made of fossilised Swaledale stone quarried in North Yorkshire (he was the last member of the House of York).  His coat of arms and the boar are incised on the tomb.

At the other end of the cathedral is the pall of Richard 111




Quite magnificent and the embroiders amongst the group spent a long time trying to work out how it was made!!

Finally here is 'the King under the car park' found within the first 2 hours of digging


and if the digger had gone in a foot further either way he would never have been found!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what an interesting day out. I love the history you have in UK, so thanks for sharing. Seems you are like me and end up in the midst of maintenance work on different places you visit. Take care. PS, is there anyway you can pop me an email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just added a form to the bottom of the blog so check if it is there.

      Delete
  2. I have been to Leicester so many times but never really for it's history. I must rectify that soon

    ReplyDelete