Home

Tuesday 10 September 2019

Norfolk week with friends Part 1

Last week the 50+ Adventure Club went away to walk part of the North Norfolk coastal path.  What fun I had!  Laughter, walking and good food with friends; what more could you ask.

With two others I was based at the Quaker House in Wells next the Sea and it was basic accommodation.  Fine as we were only staying there and going out every day, but I was in the main building on my own and when the main front door was closed late at night, the kitchen door was always open, so my bedroom door was always locked!!  

We walked into Wells on Sunday afternoon and I took this iconic picture of the town -
the quay and granary with lots of small children fishing for crabs (which they put back because they are small).  The 'Lifeboat Horse' could be seen as it was low tide


Next morning was not the official start of the walking week as many were driving that day, but some of us met up and went by coastal bus (thank goodness for my 'bus pass' that gives me free travel) to Cromer.  We walked along the front and the pier, bypassing the theatre to visit the Lifeboat Station behind.
Here I had a minor catastrophe in the shop, as my full water bottle fell out of my rucksack, the top came off and the full contents went all over the floor.  The nice ladies behind the till mopped it up with me apologising profusely.  "At least it is only water" they said "we have had worse".  I leave it to your imagination what it was!!  After a brief lunch of Cromer crab sandwiches, a must and delicious, we walked the 4.5 miles back to Sheringham and caught the bus back to Wells.  That evening we went to The Jolly Sailors pub in Brancaster Staithe, where after eating, we watched the Nelson's Shantymen rehearsing ready for the weekend's cider festival and we were mesmerised.
The pub was so busy they had to go outside so thank goodness it was a mild evening.

Tuesday morning we walked into town to catch the bus and the tide was right in over the quay and the poor 'Lifeboat Horse' was just visible -

The whole group met up at Burnham Overy Staithe, a delightful hamlet on the edge of the sea and crossed the marshes on a raised pathway and saw this in the distance which was quite unexpected!
A very long shot!

A chariot pulled by four grey horses and a charioteer in green - could this be a stand-in for Tom Cruise or George Clooney.  No such luck: they were filming a commercial for Haven Holidays to be shown on Boxing Day!!  We pressed on until we came to the new Visitor Centre at Holkham where we had lunch.  The next part of the walk was back to Wells where I cheated for the last part and caught the little Wells Harbour Railway into town and saved myself half a mile in a total of 6.5 miles that day.

I also caught the Lifeboat Horse from another angle
The tide out again.

Next day we were back at Sheringham and before catching the steam train to Holt we walked along the front and saw these birds, but what were they?  A passing lady said they were Turnstones which I have never heard of before.  They over-winter here from Scandinavia and do turn over stones to find little grubs etc.


We arrived at the station and I loved seeing these two together and requested a photo

Very smart station staff!

I love trains and this was my second in two days so I was in my element.  It was on our arrival in Holt that the heavens opened and delayed our start but the sun soon came out and we started to steam!!  A trip on this train is a must if you are ever in the area.

We set out to walk to Sheringham, walking beside the railway at one point and then we heard a toot and our steam train was coming along the track

and then the path rose and we crossed over the railway and in the distance saw this
deer running across the field.  At this point we could see Sheringham in the distance and were told that we could either go over the top or down onto the beach and walk on the sand.  Mmmm, when we got to edge of the cliff the tide was in so no beach walking and all I could see was this climb!!
Keep walking to the top and the little house!!

I nearly asked one of the golfers for a loan of his buggy, but I find it easiest to keep my head down and keep going under these circumstances and my trusty Nordic Walking poles got me to the top, with just a very short walk to the car the other side.  Another 6 miles completed.

That evening our whole party of about twenty went to the 'End of the Pier Show' in Cromer for a night of entertainment.  Good fun and we gave a cheer when our group name was called out by the compere for the evening.  Very, very windy when we came out and nearly blown off the pier!!

So ends part 1  .......  watch this space

2 comments:

  1. I love that part of the Norfolk coast . and it's nice and flat for walking ;))

    ReplyDelete