Home

Friday 1 November 2019

Spooky goings on

The day after my last post I incurred an injury whilst walking that has laid me up for a few weeks, hurt to go up and down stairs and generally made me feel grumpy and not wanting to write the blog.

However I am now back to normal and though I am struggling to walk too far feel that I can now 'put pen to paper' so to speak.  Actually I wonder if I am the only person who struggles to actually put pen to paper.  My hand wobbles, my thoughts race ahead and there is a general blur in my mind, all of which I put down to typing all the time!!  I have lost the knack of hand writing with a pen.

Anyway here goes - I have had two outings with the 50+ Adventure club (we've changed our website so do have a look) in the last month. The Autumn Walk and lunch and our Halloween trip to Nottingham.

I have no photos for the walk but we all met up in Sandy on a lovely day and made our way into the Riddy along the River Ivel where we had to cross a ditch with some water in it.  The temporary planks looked rickety so I decided to cross on tussocks of grass but put my foot on some and immediately sank up to my knees in water!!!!  Great hilarity for the group, but my waterproof boots filled with water over the top and I sloshed for the rest of the walk!!  The boots were so well waterproofed that the outsides were dry before I got back to the car but the insides were still full of water!!  However the lunch made up for any discomfort!

So to our annual Halloween trip and this was a first as we had to book our own train tickets to Nottingham for two 'Adventures' later in the day!!  We all managed that and had the morning to ourselves, so the group I was with headed to the Justice Museum.  I loved it and took many photos -
Made of Lego
and read this to see what a criminal looks like
'a thief could be identified by small wandering eyes!!'
This truncheon was used at the Peterloo Massacre 

and my friends sat in the original dock from Bow Street Magistrates Court
with a photo in front of them of some of the people who would have sat there, including Oscar Wilde, Roger Casement, Dr Crippen and Ethel Neave and in more recent times Jeffrey Archer.  Go to the link above for Bow Street and you can see what these people were there for.  After lunch in their rather chaotic cafe we went on quick walk round the lace quarter, now turned into flats etc
The Adams entrance 
Our first organised walk was in the sandstone caves under the city.  Considering how soft sandstone is it is amazing that there is a shopping centre above!
The tannery in the caves
 Lots of talk here about pee and poo being used in medieval times in the tanning process!!  Children and the 50+ Adventure Club love it!!
The tanning pits using poo and pee!!

More tanning with oak bark in these pits
 The caves were also used as air raid shelters in the second World War.
The basement kitchen of a dwelling
Great walk and then a visit to Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem for a drink and meal before the ghost walk 
Even this pub is set into the sandstone cliffs below the Castle.  It was packed but we had a reserved room, thank goodness!  When it got dark we went on our ghost walk along the castle walls 
Guess who this statue is?  Answer at the bottom -
So ended a very busy, but enjoyable day.

I have been doing some crafty things:-

This is an ongoing smocking project for a file cover tht holds all my patterns.  The last bay tree is supposed to look like that as I will not be using it.  In the meantime I have started this Christmas decoration ring 
All will be revealed in a few weeks!

Sock Club continues and I am making a new pair
 from this book by Winwick Mum and I have also bought another one by her.
I can't wait to have a go at the pattern on the front!!

Answer to photo above - Robin Hood 

2 comments:

  1. I'd not realised you'd had an accident, so glad you are on the mend. Interesting few walks with the 50+ club & all your projects look good. The socks on the cover seem like they could be quite complex. Have a great weekend, take care & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not an accident but I 'pulled' something in my hip that was extremely painful to walk.

      Delete