Home

Monday 8 December 2014

London

I love London. There is so much to do, see, places to eat and it has a buzz about it even on a chill Saturday in December! The 50+ Adventure Club were in town for ice skating at Somerset House even though only five people on the coach would be taking part - well we had to fill the coach, so everyone was off to do their own thing. One couple went on a 'Pedibus', others got as far as the Science Museum, Camden MarketImperial War Museum and of course a great deal of retail therapy. Me - well I became a tourist and I went to Covent Garden to start with and saw the Christmas Pudding Race, in aid of Cancer Research and this wonderful living statue!!
No support of any kind ....
apart from his hand on the pole!!!!
Then onto Trafalgar Square and saw 'Yoda', again with no support, and a blue cockerel.

The fourth plinth
Left - National Gallery, centre - St Martins in the Fields and right - Nelson's Column
Look at the colour of the sky, then down Whitehall past Horse Guards
Keeping guard

Downing Street has thick railings and armed police on guard duty. I saw four when I walked past and then I saw this little fellow!!!
Paddington is Great by Stephen Fry
There are fifty of these dotted around Central London to celebrate the new Paddington film and each has been designed by a different individual.

I went past this very famous landmark just as it struck 1.00pm .....
Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament
... on to -
Westminster Abbey
From 1066 the kings and queens of England have been crowned here. At this point I needed some lunch and from my days when I worked in London I knew of a little pub in the back streets that was very quiet and I got a delicious sandwich and a sit down. Phew, I needed that rest.

However I had more to do and see, so I set off again for my ultimate destination and on the way saw this that needed a photo:-
'Boris' bikes waiting to be used
 Another Paddington
Paddington Jack by Davina McCall
However my ultimate destination can be seen behind the bear, in the corner - the Cabinet War Rooms and Churchill Museum and it was well worth getting there. I spent nearly three hours here, and they even have a small cafe which was very welcome.
The map room, with life like dummies
Just an amazing place and at the time, so 'Top Secret' no-one knew it was there, including the Germans. By the time I came out it was dark, so after skirting St James's Park, I headed for Buckingham Palace, where the Queen was not in residence as the Royal Standard was not flying and if you look carefully there is a Christmas tree in the royal entrance!!
Buckingham Palace by night
Back up The Mall, past Clarence House and to Trafalgar Square for this photo of the Christmas Tree donated each year by the City of Oslo and the people of Norway in gratitude to the people of London for their assistance during World War 11. I found this particularly moving.
A lovely tree
 Bear of London by Boris Johnson
.. and here I found my final bear, standing outside the National Gallery which I had missed in the morning.

A lovely trip to London and I was exhausted with very sore feet as I had walked it all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment