As you know I have taken this lovely craft up in the last year and having made a sampler cushion and Christmas cracker I decided to embark on something a little more challenging. My eldest granddaughter's birthday was on 1 May so I decided that if I started in the New Year I might be able to make her something by her birthday.
Teacher J has so many smocking magazines that I could look through and at last I found a really lovely pattern. It seemed a daunting task but I was smitten: and the first item I needed was fabric so I bought a Japanese Liberty fabric that J prepared for smocking and off I went.
|A full width of the fabric but no pleating at the armhole edges|
The next part was to cut out the pattern pieces for the bodice, save a full width piece for the back skirt and with the remaining fabric I made my own piping using bias cut strips and DMC Petra 3 cotton thread. I was surprised how much piping I needed as it was going round the armholes, across the front and back yokes, round the neckline and down both sides of the back yoke. As I was making the piping I realised that the fabric was just right, because it was soft and pliable and would be ideal for a little girl's skin.
At last it was finished and here are some photos that I took before it was posted for the birthday girl -
|I have no overlocker so I made a blind hem with rolled edges|
|My hands were so cold I needed fingerless mittens!!|
|Armhole, neck and bodice piping|
|The crossover back|
The back crosses over and there is no seam at all, so plenty of leg room for running around and it is still modest!!
|My label placed on the inside of the crossover|
- and a happy birthday to a 6 year old in a size 7 dress that I hope will last for two years at least.
Oh and by the way smocked dresses should be every day dresses and not saved for best - that is what teacher J told me!